Skinny De Mayo
I just started this new "Paleo Diet" that EVERYONE has been talking about. Essentially all meats, fruits, and veggies! SOOOO hard. Quite literally everything you eat in Puerto Rico is deep fried, so I most definitely need this diet. Today is Cinco De Mayo, but I won't be celebrating, considering how much I celebrated in PR. BUT, if you're one of those people on a diet, and still wanting to partake in the festivities, I found this very useful list! You're welcome. :)
- Shredded cabbage for lettuce. It won't save calories, but it's much more nutritious.
- Fish for ground beef. You can keep the meaty texture in your tacos, but with lower calories and less cholesterol.
- Raw jalapeno peppers instead of pickled peppers. You can save on the sugar and sodium that get added to most pickled vegetables.
- Homemade guacamole instead of store-bought. Again, much less sodium.
- Whole wheat tortillas. They give you extra fiber and protein over the processed white flour versions.
- Whole beans instead of refried.
- Homemade pico de gallo instead of salsa. You save big on the sodium. Two tablespoons of a typical store-bought salsa can have up to 250 milligrams of sodium, which is 10% of your recommended daily limit.
- And last, but definitely NOT least, light beer instead of regular. You save about 50 calories per can.
Happy celebrating my friends!