Like Tacos? How About Taking The ‘Trail of Tacos’ Roadtrip?
It's like a real-life Oregon Trail, except you won't lose an ox or get bit by a rattlesnake. If you are a fan of tacos, and who isn't, you can take the ultimate 'Trail of Tacos' road trip this summer or plan on it for Cinco De Mayo which will be here before we know it.
OnlyInYourState.com had the original idea and it lists 5 stops around the state in St Cloud, Shakopee, Richfield, Stillwater, and Rosemount. St. Cloud is pushing it for us if we want to do this right. So instead of those stops, I've got a trip worth of not only chips and salsa, but soft or hard shells. So load up the car, here we go.
- We will keep it real local with our first stop. Faribault's Gran Plaza Mexican Grill at 520 Central Ave N, Faribault, MN 55021. They've got tons of options on the taco front, and their lunch menu is super affordable.
- Stop #2 is 15 miles south of Faribault in Owatonna at Plaza Morena Campestre Grill 160 26th St NE, Owatonna, MN 55060. You can use the link for a $2 off coupon when you spend $20 or more because let's face it having a beer or margarita helps get the bill over $20 when we are talking tacos.
- Stop #3 is in SPAM town USA. El Mariachi Mexican Restaurant 227 Main St N, Austin, MN 55912. This spot in Austin I found while attending a summer townball tournament. It's one that if you drove by you could miss it as it's rather unassuming looking from the outside.
- It's the Med-City in Rochester for our 4th stop along the 'Trail of Tacos'. This stop is one of the highest-rated spots to get a taco according to Google guides. Taco Moreno 1451 12th St SE, Rochester, MN. Apparently the steak tacos are what you'll want to have, load them up and enjoy.
- The last stop leads up back to the Faribault area. Head up Highway 52 to Pine Island and stop at Taqueria Let's Go Tacos! 212 S Main St, Pine Island, MN 55963.
The whole excursion takes a little over two hours, but it's in the name of tacos.