Minnesota + Wisconsin Included In Kinder Easter Chocolate Recall
Better tell the Easter Bunny!
Just ahead of one of candy's favorite holidays, there is a voluntary recall on chocolate. Ferrero U.S.A. is recalling their Kinder Happy Moments Chocolate Assortment and their Kinder Mix Chocolate Treats Basket. The concern is that the products could be contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium.
No other Kinder-branded candies are included in the recall efforts; only the two specific chocolate products.
According to information being shared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the recall was instigated because they were manufactured in a facility where Salmonella was detected in other products. The salmonella in those products did lead to people getting sick in Europe.
At the present time, there has been no report of illness - salmonella or otherwise - associated with these recalled products in the United States. The recall for them has been issued (again) because they were manufactured in the same site as salmonella was detected. Efforts behind the recall are purely under the guise of caution.
Here are the specific details about the two Kinder chocolate products being voluntarily recalled:
Kinder Mix Chocolate Treats Basket
- Size: 5.3 ounce package - in a carboard casket
- Best By Date and location: July 30, 2022 (located on the bottom of the package)
- Lot Code and location: 03L 018AR - 306 (located on the bottom of the package)
- UPC Code and location: 09800 52025 (located on the bottom of the package)
Kinder Happy Moments Milk Chocolate and Crispy Wafers Assortment
- Size: 14.1 ounce package - square box with a lid.
- Best By Date and location: July 18, 2022 (located on the back panel).
- Lot Codes and location: 48RUP334; 48RUP335; 48RUP 336; 48RUP337 (each of the codes are located on the back panel)
- UPC Code and location: 09800 52025 (located on the right side panel)
In addition to the details about the two recalled products, Ferrero U.S.A. is also alerting consumers that "there may be Kinder branded products currently for sale in the U.S. that are intended for foreign markets and unauthorized for sale in the U.S.". These Kinder products potentially "could be included as part of a recall of certain Kinder products in Europe".
Here are some photos provided by the U.S. FDA that detail the locations of the UPC, Lot, and Date Codes on the packaging:
Kinder products authorized for distribution in the United States include the following description printed directly on the back of the product packaging:
EXCL. DIST. FERRERO U.S.A., INC.
PARSIPPANY, NJ 070564
Customers who believe that they have the Kinder products involved in the recall are urged not to consume them. Contact the Ferrero Customer Service line: 1-800-688-3552.