Rochester Mayor Presents His Final Medal of Honor Awards
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - Rochester Mayor Ardell Brede today experienced another emotional final event of 16-years in office. He hosted his last Mayor’s Medal of Honor luncheon at the Mayo Civic Center and honored a dozen local citizens for their contributions to the community.
Brede’s last Mayor’s Award was presented posthumously to a Mayo Clinic physician who died in October after a battle with cancer. Dr. Richard Brubaker retired in 2000 after a 30-year career at Mayo. KROC-AM’s Kim David was on hand to present the Legacy Award to Ed Hruska, who is retiring from the City Council and his job as Executive Director of Rochester Sports at the end of the year. Kim David was the recipient of the Legacy Award last year.
Here is a list of all of this year’s Mayor’s Medal of Honor winners:
- Mayor’s Award: Dr. Richard Brubaker
- Services to the Elderly: Mary Pat Jewison
- Human Services: Ted Alberts
- Legacy: Ed Hruska
- City Service: Paul Fleissner
- Diversity Award: Christina Killion-Valdez
- Industry: Abe Sauer
- Services to those with Disabilities: Christie Lyke
- Community-Wide Service: Larry Vomhof
- School/Education – Educator: Sara Lopez
- Artistic/Cultural Achievement: Amarama Vercnocke
- Youth in Community: Sandhya Kumar