Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - The sprinkler system in a northwest Rochester apartment complex is credited with preventing a kitchen fire from spreading last night.

A news release says Rochester firefighters responded to the Gage East Apartments at 920 40th Street Northwest around 8:20 PM. The crews found smoke in the building from an unattended cookfire that caused fire damage to the stove, a microwave oven, and the kitchen cabinets. There was also smoke and water damage in the affected unit and other parts of the building.

There were no injuries, but the local American Red Cross office is assisting two families displaced by the fire. The Gage East apartments is a supportive housing complex that opened in 2016 to provide housing for homeless families and unaccompanied homeless youth and young adults.

News Update:  Minnesota Man Killed When His Car Was Sandwiched

Enter your number to get our free mobile app