Five Reasons Why You Should Adopt, Not Shop in MN
I honestly believe that everyone should have a pet in their life, whether it be a cat, dog, bird or even a reptile! Pets can just make life more enjoyable and personally, I believe the happiest pets are adopted or rescued pets!
Meet my three little monsters, my dog, Kona, and my two cats Leinenkugel (grey) and Heineken (tabby). Kona and Heineken I adopted and I rescued Leinenkugel when she was about 4 weeks after her mom passed. When you adopt, or rescue, a pet you give them a second chance at an enjoyable life where they can be happy and loved! Here are 5 reasons why I believe that when given the option, you should adopt:
- When Adopting, you're saving a life: According to the Humane Society of the United States, roughly 2.7 millions adoptable animals are euthanized each year because not enough people are adopting from shelters. This could change drastically if more and more people adopted a 4-legged companion instead of buying them!
- When Adopting, you are getting a healthy pet: Shelters and Rescues go above and beyond when it comes to making sure their "residents" are happy and healthy! Before a pet gets adopted, they are screened for health issues, spayed or neuters, as well as microchipped! The common misconception about pets at shelters or rescues is that they are all "bad" animals or that they have been abused. Most animals end up at rescues and shelters because of "people reasons" like financial, lack of time to care for them properly, or a move.
- Adopting can save you money: Adopting or rescuing a pet can cost you little to nothing at all! In some cases, you can adopt a pet for as little as $5 and that will include their spay/neuter, vaccinations, microchipping, and sometimes toys and food to go with them!
- Adopting a pet can help you feel better: Somehow, pets can always find a way to make you smile! Not only can they make you smile, studies have shown that pets can help provide someone with psychological, emotional, and physical benefits!
- If you adopt, you will not be supporting puppy mills: Puppy mills are a "factory style" breeding facility that unfortunately does not care about the safety, health, and well being on the animals there. Puppy Mills put profit above the well being of the animals. The dogs being breed are kept in cages, used just for breeding, and after their "use" is done are unfortunately dumped, abandoned or killed. Some puppies that come from this mills can suffer from serious underlying health complications that may not show for months or years.
If you, or someone you know is looking to add a new addition to the family, give these rescues and shelters a chance! Who knows, you may just find your FURever friend!
NEXT UP: What It's Like Working From Home With Pets in Southeast Minnesota