3 MN Cities Named In Top 150 Underrated Winter Vacation Destinations
The weather has been pretty mild so far this year, yes we did see some snow, but it didn't last. I think Minnesota gets a bad reputation due to the snow, but you have to admit it looks really beautiful after the snow stops, you see everything coated in white, and when the sun hits it just right, it seems to sparkle. Well, in a recent survey for underrated winter vacation destinations, 3 Minnesota cities made the top 150 locations.
The cities that made the top underrated winter destinations were Pipestone, Lanesboro, and Ely.
FamilyDestinationsGuide.com surveyed 3,000 travelers to highlight these underrated winter getaways for families. The idea behind the survey was "to encourage others to explore beyond the usual and experience the diverse beauty America holds. While annual rankings typically highlight traditional favorites in Hawaii and Florida, it's intriguing that these states also featured three lesser-known destinations in the top 10, proving that even the most famous states harbor secrets waiting to be explored."
Before we get to where the Minnesota cities landed in the top 150, here are the top 5 underrated winter vacation destinations.
1. Buffalo, Wyoming - According to the survey Buffalo Wyoming "offers a relaxing and authentic winter experience. Families can explore its historic downtown, enjoy winter festivals, and embark on snowshoeing or cross-country skiing adventures in the nearby Bighorn National Forest."
2. High Springs, Florida - The survey suggests that this Florida town "offers a unique charm during the winter months, and it placed in second position nationally. Families can explore the area's stunning state parks, like Ichetucknee Springs and O'Leno State Park, without the crowds, enjoying hiking, birdwatching, and the chance to spot manatees in the crystal-clear springs."
3. Creede, Colorado - The survey respondents said that Creede has a "unique blend of culture, outdoor activities, and the tranquil ambiance of a small mountain town, Creede is a hidden treasure for families seeking a memorable winter getaway."
4. Tok, Alaska - "Tucked away at the crossroads of picturesque Alaskan highways, this hidden gem invites visitors into a winter wonderland, where the Northern Lights paint the sky in surreal colors and the untouched landscapes offer numerous outdoor activities, from dog sledding to cross-country skiing."
5. Frankenmuth, Michigan - "This beautiful Bavarian-inspired town transforms into a winter wonderland during the colder months. Its picturesque streets, adorned with festive lights and decorations, create a magical atmosphere. Families can enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides, ice skating, and snow-covered landscapes that look straight out of a holiday postcard."
Now that you've seen the Top 5, notice that 3 of the Top 5 were places that get snow and colder weather, here are where the Minnesota towns ranked.
#83. Pipestone - "Known for its historic Pipestone National Monument, the area invites visitors to explore the origins of the red stone used by Native Americans, offering a unique educational journey through the prairies and quarries, even amidst the tranquil snowfall of winter."
#95. Lanesboro - "The town's notable absence of chain stores adds to its allure, inviting visitors to a genuine experience where local arts, theater performances, and crafts are the main attractions, perfect for family bonding. The historic downtown, with its quaint bed-and-breakfast spots and hospitable eateries, exudes an old-world charm that is especially magical in the wintertime."
#129. Ely - "Families can enjoy activities like cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and dog sledding in the breathtaking wilderness. The town itself boasts a welcoming atmosphere, with charming boutiques, cozy lodges, and hearty dining options."
I wonder how the survey missed places like Brainerd, Duluth, and even St. Cloud as underrated winter destinations. Either way, it is still pretty cool that Minnesota ended up with 3 towns on the list.
Have you ever been to any of these three destinations before?
Come Visit Bowlus, MN With Us in Pictures
Come Visit South Haven, Minnesota in Pictures
Come Visit Buckman, Minnesota in Pictures