Minnesota’s Most Popular Google Searches of 2023
If you're like me, you frequent Google. How do I? When did this happen? Where is this? Who is that? Gosh, what did we do back when we didn't have Googling ability? ;)
I definitely searched a LOT of the top topics.
This year has been an eventful one to say the least. What are the most popular Google searches of the year?
Here are the most Googled things across the US.
Most Googled People:
#1. Buffalo Bills star, Damar Hamlin was the most Googled person AND most Googled athlete. He experienced a near-death cardiac arrest on the field during a January game at just 25 years young, but fortunately is back and doing great!
Hawkeye came in number 2 for most searched people! He was actually the most searched actor. Jeremy Renner jumped into hero mode to protect his nephew from a snow plow and ended up getting seriously injured.
3. Coming in hot (pun intended) at number 3, Mr. Taylor Swift. I'm not sure if he was Googled more for being one of the most eligible bachelors on the football field OR when he was taken off the market by T-Swift.
Most Googled Passings:
1. Matthew Perry - A heartbreaking day for all Friends fans when the amazing Chandler Bing was taken from us far too soon.
2. Tina Turner - the queen of rock and roll passed away earlier this year at 83.
3. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! The super popular TV host passed in April.
Most Searched TV Shows:
1. The Last of Us - such a stellar show on HBO starring Pedro Pascal aka the Mandalorian! It's SO good. Pedro was also one of the most Googled actors.
2. Ginny & Georgia - I binged this one and cannot wait for season 3! You can check it out on Netflix.
3. Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story - A prequel spin-off of the Netflix series Bridgerton.
Also See: Top 25 Searches According to Wikipedia.
Top News Stories:
1. War in Israel and Gaza - Click here to see CNN's most recent heartbreaking update on the situation out there.
2. Titanic submersible - On June 18th, a sub went out to see the Titanic wreckage in the Atlantic Ocean and didn't come back. It was later discovered that it had imploded. Five people were killed.
3. Hurricane Hilary - A Category 4 that happened in August. It brought torrential rainfall and gusty winds (up to 143 mph) to the Pacific Coast of Mexico, the Baja California Peninsula and the Southwestern United States, resulting in widespread flooding and numerous mudslides according to Wikipedia.
Top Googled Games:
1. Hogwarts Legacy - A Harry Potter game released in February.
2. Connections - According to Wikipedia, it's a 2023 word video game developed and published by The New York Times. It was released in June and was the second most played game behind Wordle.
3. Baldur's Gate 3 - The game is the third main installment in the Baldur's Gate series, based on the tabletop fantasy role-playing system of Dungeons & Dragons.
Top Googled Movies
1. Barbie. With megastars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, Barbie was a huge hit this year, grossing $1.4billion in the box office.
2. Oppenheimer - According to Harper Bazaar, the movie is based on the life of American theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer. The eponymous film explores his invention of the atomic bomb – and the implications of creating such a deadly weapon.
3. Sound of Freedom - According to IMDB, "Sound of Freedom" is based on an incredible true story, and shines a light on even the darkest of places. After rescuing a young boy from ruthless child-traffickers, a federal agent learns that the boy's sister is still a captive and decides to embark on a dangerous mission to save her.
Most Googled Songs:
1. Try That In A Small Town - Jason Aldean
2. Rich Men North of Richmond - Oliver Anthony
3. Unholy - Sam Smith and Kim Petras
So, that's what the world was Googling. What were Minnesotans searching for? According to CBS, here were the top searches in Minnesota according to CBS.
Marijuana: No surprise this is a top search seeing as Minnesota became the 23rd state in 2023 to legalize marijuana. Here's the link to learn more about consumption, growth, and the new law on Minnesota's state website.
Air quality: The air quality was the talk of the state quite often this year. Canadian wildfires during the summer caused hazy conditions and led to multiple air quality alerts. In fact, according to the MN Pollution Control Agency, the state might have seen a red AQI day once every decade previously, but in 2023 alone, there have been 14 red alerts issued.
Minnesota State Fair: The Great Minnesota Get Together was a popular search this year. People were searching for the dates, food, and lineup at the great Minnesota get together
Minnesota State Flag: With the first change to the flag in just shy of 70 years, it's no surprise it was a hot topic this year. According to WCCO, as of Tuesday, the State Emblem Redesign Commission announced the final three finalists, with another meeting scheduled Friday. The commission has until the new year to decide on the new state flag.
Minnesota Twins: It was a huge season for the Twins, who ended an 18-game playoff losing streak and a 21-year series win drought. They placed 1st in AL Central, but sadly lost in the postseason to the Houston Astros.