Popular Thursdays Downtown Food Returns June 6th!
My first few years back in town I'd see the giant paella cookers at the Grand Rounds booth at Thursdays on First, now Thursdays Downtown. I'd see people all over the place eating it, gobbling it up. Heading back for more. And then, last year. I didn't see it at all.
There are a TON of recipes for paella. Here in the Midwest, paella is the Tater Tot Hot Dish of foods. That's how many variations there are. For example, from Wikipedia, here's one of the thousands of recipes.
- Make a broth from seafood, chicken, onions, garlic, bell peppers, and bay leaf.
- Heat oil in a paella.
- Sear red bell pepper strips and set aside.
- Sear crustaceans and set aside.
- Season meat lightly with salt and sauté meat until golden brown.
- Add onions, garlic and bell peppers. Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add grated tomatoes and sauté.
- Add dry seasonings except for salt.
- Add rice.
- Braise rice until covered with sofrito.
- Add broth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add saffron (or food coloring) and mix well.
- Simmer until rice is almost cooked.
- Replace crustaceans.
- Continue simmering until rice and crustaceans are finished cooking.
- Garnish with seared red bell pepper strips.
SO many steps. Better just buy it at Thursdays Downtown, which starts June 6th!
<p style="text-align: center;"><em>Listen to James Rabe 6a to 10a on <a href="http://y105fm.com/" target="_blank">Y-105 FM</a></em></p>