Reminder: Minnesotans Should NOT Give Their Pets Halloween Candy
For all the pet owners in Southeast Minnesota, here's one very important tidbit to keep in mind during the Halloween season:
Do NOT feed your pets Halloween candy!
Most people know that chocolate is poisonous for a majority of pets, but keep in mind that chocolate is more likely to be toxic the darker it gets.
Grapes & Raisins
If you're that house on the block that gives kids healthy food, make sure you keep these items away from your pets, as both have been known to cause kidney failure in dogs.
Dogs will eat just about anything, but you definitely want to make sure they avoid snarfing down a candy wrapper. They can obstruct your dog's bowels, which not only doesn't sound fun at all, but might even require surgery.
Often used as a sweetener/substitute in many sugar-free products, xylitol can be extremely toxic to dogs; even a small amount can result in hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure, or even death. It's a good precaution to keep all sugar-free products away from your pets.
Of course, you're probably OK giving your fur baby some (actual) pet treats. When in doubt, you can always scratch behind their ears and ask them who is a good boy/girl. They seem to love that!