Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - Rochester Public Schools students, parents and teachers will have to wait another week before they know what type of learning model will be adopted for the new year.

RPS released a statement Thursday after Gov. Walz outlined his administration's plans and guidance for the state’s K-12 public schools.

RPS says it is “preparing to share our return to school plan by the end of the first week of August.” 

RPS appointed a task force in early July to study the three models announced by Gov Walz and it released its recommendations last week. The three models are in-person learning, distance learning and a hybrid model that combines the two. The task force is currently seeking and reviewing parent feedback on its recommendations.

RPS says it has scheduled meetings with key experts from Olmsted County Public Health Services and Mayo Clinic to get input before the final plan is adopted.

 RPS says it anticipates the following important steps to occur:
-  August 4: an update to the school board on the work of the task force. This update will include feedback incorporated from RPS families.  
-  By the end of the first week of August: the District will share the learning model for the start of the school year, and the task force will review all staff feedback.
-  August 18: the District will share more details about the RPS learning model during a school board meeting. This will also include feedback incorporated from RPS staff. 

A Minnesota COVID-19 milestone.