Suspect in Rochester Rape Case Wants Speedy Trial
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - A Rochester man accused of holding a homeless woman captive for several weeks and repeatedly raping has entered a not guilty plea.
57-year-old Scott Ramey entered the plea to a first-degree criminal sexual conduct charge during a court hearing on Tuesday. He also waived his right to an evidentiary hearing and demanded a speedy trial, which means it will have to be scheduled in the next 60 days unless Ramey withdraws the demand.
He was arrested last month after a 20-year-old homeless woman told police that Ramey approached her at Central Park in downtown Rochester in November and took her to a storage shed near Cooke Park he used for shelter after allegedly showing her a gun, a knife, and a can of mace. The woman told investigators that Ramey raped her late that day and on 7 other times over the next several weeks.
Court records indicate the woman eventually escaped and returned to her father's home on December 8th, which is when the police were contacted. The documents also state Ramey has denied the allegations.