5 Columbus Day Facts That Question His ‘Awesomeness’
Happy Columbus Day! We know way more about explorer Christopher Columbus than we did when the "day" celebrating him was first announced, but this might make us question that move. Here a five facts to help us discover who this man really is!
1) He wanted to find Asia so he could find spices for trading. He never did.
2) Instead, he found The Bahamas, Cuba and Hispaniola.
Dude didn't even find North America, technically.
3) Three countries declined to fund his expedition.
England, Portugal and France all said "nope" to his idea.
4) Columbus returned to Spain in chains in 1500.
He was way too harsh as governor of Hispaniola.
5) He wasn't even the first European to cross the Atlantic.
That title goes to the Vikings of Scandinavia!
Yeah... I'm not so sure we should be celebrating this guy anymore. Bonus fact: We're one of two countries that even celebrate him. *mic drop*