Free Land (and Beer) if You Move to This Small Minnesota Town
Free land, free beer and free cable TV for anyone who moves to this small town in northwest Minnesota. Hunters, take note. Middle River claims itself to be the goose capital of the state, according to a story in the Star Tribune.
The city of 300 people is offering 100-by-300-foot lots complete with "a free building permit, two free years of municipal water and sewer, free electric hookup, three months of free cable TV, a $100 gift certificate to the local tavern," among other freebies - see the full list at the bottom of this story.
The first couple of the lots have already been snapped up.
The City of Middle River's website proclaims, "Don't just feel at home - make Middle River your home!"
The local bank president Josh Smith, who also leads the sportsman's club in town, told the paper, "We're trying to grow the community."
Middle River is located near the Thief Lake Wildlife Management Area which is a breeding ground for geese, ducks, songbirds, deer, bears, turkeys, wolves, and raptors among other animals.
The population of Middle River has plummeted more than 50-percent since 1970. Just a few years ago, the Greenbush-Middle River School Board voted to close the Middle River campus.
Here is the full list of incentives you get if you build or move into a new home in Middle River:
• 100’ X 300’ FREE LOT *
• FREE Building Permit
• 2 Years FREE Basic Water and Sewer
• FREE Electric Hook-up to House - Ottertail, plus Saving Options
• FREE 3-month Basic Cable -Sjobergs
• $100 Credit - Wiktel
• Welcome Basket - Border State Bank and Nelson Ink
• 2 One-day Passes to Kick’n Up Kountry
• $100 Gift Certificate - M.R. Coop
• $500 Merchant Bucks and 1-year membership to Sportsmen’s Club
• FREE 1 Year Subscription to The Honker Newspaper
• $75 Gift Certificate - Garden Shop
• $100 Gift Certificate - Honker Flats
• FREE Middle River History Book
• FREE Fire Extinguisher - Middle River Insurance Agency
• $100 Gift Certificate - The Wheel Bar
• $50 Gift Certificate - Young’s Store
• American Legion and Auxiliary - Package
• $250 Cash, $200 Merchant Bucks and 5 yr. Membership - M.R. Community Club
While hunting is a 'very' thing here, so are the items in this "Very Minnesota" list. The fifth one is pretty funny.
Like drinking beer, and helping out a great cause, you should check out this igloo experience in Minnesota.