Feel Powerless? You’re Not! Join NAMIWalks To Make Things Better
Let's open up doors for everyone from every walk of life to have access to the mental health resources and community they deserve.
I don't know that I've ever been so excited about mental health in my life. Have we ever been closer to Mental Health for All? I don't think so, and that's why I hope you'll join Townsquare Media - Rochester for this year's NAMIWalks Your Way to support NAMI Southeastern Minnesota, right here in Rochester, Minnesota, AND a walk in Lanesboro, Minnesota, too!
What Do You Mean Were Closer Than Ever?
In the 2022 NAMIWalks Your Way participant booklet (see it here), they open with this statement...
All around us, the atmosphere is charged with optimism: new doors are opening and stronger bonds are being forged...Let's open up doors for everyone from every walk of life to have access to the mental health resources and community they deserve. "
To me, it feels very true.
As a member of the media, I see more care taken while talking about mental health issues, I see my peers reaching out to ask for help understanding the issues to get the story correct. Outside my media bubble, I see students creating Mental Health Awareness Clubs (three in Rochester alone!), and parents recognizing and understanding their child may need help.
Schools are working hard to make sure students have the help they need. It's not perfect, but neither is it the same as even 6 years ago. Plus, the availability of mental health help in and around Olmsted County has increased thanks to the new crisis center.
We have a way to go, and we'll get there. Just like me dealing daily with depression and anxiety, it's not one big thing and boom, done. It's many small steps taken over time to get where we want to be. And taking part in one of the two SEMN NAMIWalks Your Way events is a great way to take one of those steps.
JUST THE FACTS Lanesboro Walk
- WHAT: Lanesboro: Trail of Hope
- WHEN: Saturday, September 17, 2022
- WHERE: Root River State Trail (meet at Gateway Park, under the Coffee Street Walking Bridge, near the Softball Field).
- WHAT TIME: 1:00 pm
- PARK: Park at the Bass Pond parking lot, Highway 8
- FOR MORE INFO AND TO REGISTER: Click HERE.
JUST THE FACTS Rochester Walk
- WHAT: NAMIWalks Your Way
- WHEN: Saturday, September 24, 2022
- WHERE: Silver Lake Park - West Shelter (770 W Silver Lake Drive NE)
- WHAT TIME: 9:00am Registration, 10am Presentation & Walk
- PETS: Well-behaved and leashed dogs are welcome, no other pets, please.
- TO REGISTER / FOR MORE INFO: Click HERE.
Meet Rochester's Toughest NAMIWalks Your Way participant, she's over 100!
When you help raise money for NAMI SEMN you are...
- ...helping educate our community on a host of different mental health issues. It would be impossible for me to list all the classes and programs available for people living with mental illness, and family, caregivers and friends, and community members. Click here for that information and how to schedule a program or class.
- ...making sure NAMI can continue to partner with local organizations so Peer Support Specialists are there to help their peers discover and build on coping strategies that work for them (the specialists know the path because they've walked it themselves).
- ...keeping two more valuable offerings from NAMI going. They are the free, peer-led support group for adults living with mental illness AND the family support group, for family and friends of those dealing with mental health issues. There's no registration required, the group meets virtually, and you can click here to be a part of either one.
Every year, Townsquare Media help the community in various ways, from supporting local fundraisers, running daily public service messages, creating digital community campaigns, and hosting events attended by thousands. Learn more about how Townsquare Media Cares here.
One of the best ways to enjoy time with your sweetie is AFFORDABLY...I'll bet you find at least three or four you two would enjoy in this gallery.
20 Affordable Date Ideas In and Around Rochester, Minnesota
As always, if you have a comment, complaint, or concern about something I wrote here, please let me know: email@example.com