Rochester Man Pleads Not Guilty to St. Marys Hospital Stabbing
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - The man accused of attacking his estranged wife in a crowded cafeteria at St. Mary’s Hospital in late May was back in court Tuesday and entered not guilty pleas to attempted murder and felony assault charges.
57-year-old Augustino Nasona also waived his right to an evidentiary hearing before entering the not guilty pleas during a hearing in Olmsted County Court. The charges allege he repeatedly stabbed his estranged wife in the chest and back while she was working in the cafeteria. He also allegedly slashed the knife at a co-worker of the victim when she tried to intervene. A Mayo Clinic Security Officer then arrived and subdued Nasona by, according to the criminal complaint, wrapping his arms around him and pinning him against a wall.
The charges say Nasona told police he believed his wife had been “unfaithful in their marriage.” The police reports said she suffered internal injuries that required surgery.
Nasona, who remains in the Olmsted County Jail with his bail set at $400,000, is currently scheduled to appear at a pre-trial hearing in late January.